Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Interviews



With his debut film, `Roja,’ A.R. Rahman redefined the sound of Indian film music, won the National award and made himself heard in the Indian music industry. However, Rahman, the person and the musician, remains unchanged. Fame and adulation rest lightly on his shoulders.
From `Roja’ to `Ghajini,’ Rahman’s evocative music has captivated listeners and inspired zillion clones who attempt to duplicate the Rahman magic in vain.
Excerpts from a freewheeling interview with the maestro who says that coming to Kerala opened a flood of memories.

What kind of memories?
My father R. K. Sekhar had worked for the top music directors in Malayalam - Devarajan master, Dakshinamoorthy sir, M.K. Arjunan… There was a `thinnai’ outside my house and I remember some of the top directors and assistant directors of those times waiting for my father… He would work on eight to nine films at a time - compose music for a film, arrange the music for another… I believe it was overwork that killed him. His memory still lingers in the minds of people whom he helped. They tell me even now how he helped them, gave them a break and so on. That influenced me a great deal.

You have made the career of many new singers.
It is not me trying to help. They also contributed. I merely tapped their talent. Take the case of Srini [Srinivas]. He got a break with `Padaiyappa’ because he is talented. He used to sing all my tracks. Rajanikant listened to the track of `Padaiyappa’ and then, later, when I played him the same song sung by a famous singer, he suggested we retain the voice that had sung the track. When new people come in, they feel I can make them a star. I cannot, unless they have the voice and the talent.

But some of them were raw when they came in…
But they had the talent. Anupama in `Chandralekha’ was incredible at that time. Now, many people imitate her.

How do these singers come to your notice?
When I was doing commercials, I discovered these talents as they were singing jingles for me. So, when I started doing movies, I knew exactly who could do what.

Patriotic songs and the Rahman touch.
The old school was different. It was very straight. And let us face it, not everyone wants to listen to patriotic songs. I get into the mindset of those people and try to find out what they would like to listen to. What would connect with them and make the songs interesting. When I do something, I have to like it. If I don’t like it, I am sure people won’t like it. I have to be convinced that it is good.

Success of `Rang de Basanti.’
`Rang de Basanti’ was a risky film. It was a gamble. There are very few films where all the heroes die and people leave the theatre with hope in their hearts and praise the film. The format of the film is so abstract and it worked. It is a first of its kind.

How do you select a singer for a particular song?For instance, Hariharan for `Uyire.’
I had three options for that song. SPB sir, Jesudas sir, Hariharan. Then I imagined all of them singing it. Since I had not heard Hari in a non-ghazal kind of song, I decided to take the gamble. Then when he did , he had a whole new flavour for the song.

How about movies? You must be flooded with offers.
For me, it is not about the money or the project. It is the experience. So, I look at the team; if I can have a good work experience with them, I agree to work with them.

`Bombay Dreams’ and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
I didn’t think it was going to be so big. I was a zero in theatre. It was an introduction to the world of theatre. And that too at the best of theatres. It was a blessing. Later, I realised that Asians considered it as a status symbol, something of theirs… More than the success, it was the pride of Asians that humbled me.

Playing with Michael Jackson in Germany.
It was a good experience until he got hit by a crane and had to be hospitalised. I was supposed to have a meeting with him. It did not happen. I think he is one of a kind. He is not the Beatles, he is not Elvis… he is Michael Jackson. He has inspired so many young musicians. His personal life is his, but nobody can deny that he is not a phenomenon in the world of music.

What kind of music do you listen to?
When I am deep into film music, I listen to classical music. Pure Qawalis, music of Kumar Gandharv, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Veena Sahasrabudhe… I listen to pop songs too. Whatever is on the top of the charts… To know what is happening.

It is reported that you work on your music only after sunset?
I work from 4 p.m. to 6 a.m. When you get a fantastic idea, you have to finish it or it goes away.
Now the tunes come first and then the lyrics.
>Modern music has to be like that. But that is not the only formula. Certain directors want to hear the tunes. They will fit the lyrics later. Shanker and Mani Ratnam are like that. Sometimes, you have the concept and form the lyrics and tunes together. In `Boyz,’ for example he said he wanted a song for `I want a girl friend.’ We worked on the lyrics and tune together and the song was a hit.
Any movies in Malayalam after `Yodha.’
There are several offers. But I can’t reveal them now.
Plans
India is so rich in culture and it has so much to give to the world - ethics, music, fashion… The rest of the world has been clouded by the American dream. But now we can give to America. That is very interesting. I am waiting for the day when we get an Oscar, Grammy… all simultaneously. The day is not far away.

A.R Rahman on "Yuvvraaj"

This year has been a treat for A.R.Rahman fans. After a royal, vintage score inJodhaa Akbar you gave us the peppy and zany Jaane Tu...Ya Jaane Na. What do you have in store for your fans withYuvvraaj?
The music of Yuvvraajis something which we (Mr, Ghai, Gulzaar saab and myself) have all worked very hard on. Since the film itself is a musical, the music plays a very important role. I wouldn't like to say much about what's in store as far as the music goes. I don't even want to say the clichéd stuff that this is completely different from what I have done. All I would like to ask the people is to listen it for themselves and I hope they like it (smiles).

Subhash Ghai's films are known for the music and this one is a musical. You've worked with Mr. Ghai earlier in Taal and then in Kisna. How similar or different has been the experience working with the showman?

It has always been a pleasure to associate with Subhashji on his projects. Working on the music of Yuvvraaj has been a creative challenge for me, as Subhashji has always been associated with melodious music and has a vast understanding about the subject. As for comparisons with Taal, all I would say is that this is completely different. It's a different story, set in a different place and is also multi-cultural. Taal was more Punjabi-friendly, remix, rhythmic kind of music etc. whereas Yuvvraaj is more about melody and love etc...Yuvvraaj being a musical and a grand film, audio is just 50%. The visuals and the music complement each other.

Did you give him many sleepless nights considering you like to work at night?
I had a request from Mrs.Ghai asking me not to work very late in the night. So whenever it was 12 at night, I used to tell him, "I am tired. So let's call it a day" (laughs)

The music of Yuvvraaj has a very European kind of a feel with symphony, large scale orchestrations etc.
Yeah, we've used a Motif from Beethoven's 5th Symphony because the story is set in Austria/ Prague etc. Hence, we wanted that experience and feel to come alive through the music.

After 'Jashn-e-Bahaara', Javed Ali became a household name; after 'Kabhi Kabhi Aditi', Rashid Ali had truly arrived. Do you think it's going to be Benny Dayal this time who has crooned the soulful 'Tu Hi Toh Meri Dost Hai' in Yuvvraaj?
I hope so (smiles). I really wish Benny has a great future. He is a very hardworking boy. In fact, he has even sung a song for me in Ghajini which I am sure people will like. My best wishes are always with him.

You are known to give new singers a chance be it Naresh Iyer or Rashid Ali or Benny Dayal. How do you find this new and untapped talent every time?

It just happens. We just check them out and if they are good enough we give them a break (smiles).

They usually say that you reserve the best track for yourself in every album, be it 'Khwaja Mere Khwaja' in Jodhaa Akbar or 'Tu Bole' in Jaane Tu....is it true in the case of Yuvvraaj?
(smiles) In Yuvvraaj, I have not sung much. I have just sung bits and pieces here and there. Though Mr. Ghai wanted me to sing, I don't think my voice matches Salman Khan's. He has a much deeper voice. If I feel convinced that it's working for the betterment of the film's music I retain it, else I remove it.

How long did it take to compose the music for Yuvvraaj and what was the brief given?

The initial brief was Mr Ghai always wanted to have a full fledged orchestra kind of a musical score and with Yuvvraaj he has fulfilled his desire. I hope people like it and appreciate it.

Lyrics have been written by Gulzar Saab...How has been the experience working with him?
I love working with Gulzaar saab. His whole temperament and vast experience is something which I really admire. All the films that I have worked with him have been really enjoyable.
I know one should never ask a music composer to pick his favorite track but nevertheless which track is closest to your heart?
I like 'Tu Muskura'...it's a really soulful number.

A lot has been said about Katrina playing the cello. Whose idea was it and is it the first time that the cello has been used in a Hindi film?

It was Mr. Ghai's idea. I don't think the cello has been used in any other Hindi film on screen. The sight of a beautiful girl playing an instrument like the cello seems like an overwhelming visual. It's really nice.

Have you used the cello in many songs?

It's almost interwoven in every song.

Is it true that the sound of the cello is closest to the human voice?
Yes...provided it's played properly (laughs)

In today's time and age there doesn't seem to be any rivalry among music composers. You have someone like Shankar Mahadevan who every now and then sings for Vishal-Shekhar and even Vishal has sung a lot for Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. Have you been approached by other music composers to song and will you do that?

I have been approached. They have been very kind to ask me to lend my voice but I am signed by a company and hence cannot go beyond my contract.

Which soundtracks have you liked in the recent past?
I've heard a couple of songs of Rock On. I loved the trailer and the whole concept seems really interesting. I want to watch Rock On.
Earlier this year, on your birthday you launched your dream project K M Music

Conservatory in Chennai. How is work coming along on that front?
It has been really good. The first batch of students has already been enrolled and the response has been more than encouraging.

Is it true that you are part of a T.V. show called The Big Band? Could you take us through that?
The Big Band is a search for the best band. I liked the concept when Phat Phish came and narrated the idea to me. We are looking at exploring talent not just across India but also from neighboring countries such as Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Malaysia etc. It will also facilitate in some sort of a cultural exchange between our musicians and their musicians. I am really excited about being part of the show.

Finally, what's next in line after Yuvvraaj?

After Yuvvraaj, there is the Aamir Khan starrer Ghajini. I am also doing the music for Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd.'s multi-starrer Blue. There is also Danny Boyle'sSlumdog Millionaire, the music of which is already done. So there's a lot to look forward too.


RAHMAN: I DON'T CREATE, BUT POLISH SINGERS


Tete-a-Tete
A. R. Rahman has provided music in the recently released Ketan Mehta's 'The Rising-Mangal Pandey' starring Aamir Khan. While some have admired Rahman's music in this movie, there are others who feel otherwise. They say that it doesn't meet Rahman's established standard. The latter remember A. R. Rahman's charming music in movies like 'Rangeela' and 'Taal'. We met him recently in New Delhi and talked about his experiences in today's music world.

What's your experience about giving music in period films?
We need to study the social and cultural environment prevailing during a particular period in such films. However, one has to be very careful while giving music in period films.

What about providing general music?
There is no need for any research in general films.I try to make sure that I don't repeat my music. The audience doesn't like old and expects to listen to new music every time. So, I make experiments in music.

Why did you stop singing?
I take time and cannot sing instantaneously. I need riyaz (practice) for it. However, I am a singer first. I don't like singing in a hurry though.

Who do you like in our music industry?
They are all talented singers. Udit Narain, Sukhvinder Singh, Sonu Nigam and Shaan can be counted among them.

Would you agree that you have created many singers?
I don't create singers. I try to polish them though.

What's the difference between composing music for yourself and for other directors?

When I compose music for myself, I do it according to my perception. In case of providing to other directors, I try to comply to their taste.


A R Rahman answers specially for his fans


In an interview for Leading Tamil Magazine, Music maestro A R Rahman answers to the questions of his crazy fans about Political leader’s to his best music composition ever. Here we go…

Do you consider you have achieved in the field of Music ?
Music is not a running race. Its a spiritual journey. If some people, say, its good, it cant be believed, and if some say its excellent, then too it cant be believed. The future generations have to make a garland out of the beads, whichever is suitable

Who is your favorite Political leader ?
After the period of Umar Nabigal Nayagam, there was a person by name Umar, who ruled. He behaved like a servant, by lying down in a bed made of ropes, and lead a very simple life. I came to know of all this, after reading his bibliography. After him, I like Mahatma Gandhi very much. I don’t know much about World Leaders, but amongst the few people, who have had impact on me, these people play a prominent role. A good leader must have patience and forbearance. He shouldn’t have differences between the rich, poor, good and bad, and must have the benefit of the nation and the people to be at his top priority.

You have cherished your long standing dream of starting a Music College. What next ?
Starting a Music College has been my first desire, and it is over. There are a lot of faces which follow to the school, and they have to be done, and the school has to be converted into a moral school. I have the intention to transform it that way.

Which country doesn’t love Music in the world ?

There is no nation, which doesn’t love music. Music is the common language of the world. Is there a nation, which doesn’t love the language. If so, please tell me ?

Can anyone achieve success in life fighting with poverty ?
For success, there is nothing like being rich or poor. If at all, something of that sorts exists, it would be for a very less percentage. For success, the aim and focus is important. The aim must be rooted very strongly in the hearts. If done so, success is bound to come one day. As the Divine Self within, and it will drive victory.

Whats your notion about people, who keep doing sinful actions ?
we start judging everything and everyone. This man has done good deeds, and that man has done bad deeds is the differentiation that we do. Without doing this, if we go in depth a bit, then we will try to understand. Because, even if a person is most sinful, and even if he does a good deed, his sins may be forgiven. In the same way, if a good person does something bad, he gets termed as a sinful person for the rest of his life. So, its upto us to decide which is good and which is bad. Everything depends on us.

You have been flying all around tirelessly composing for Hollywood and Bollywood. Happy. Cant we hear some songs on Carnatic Music from you ?
Very soon, you can hear

What would you call as comfortable pain ?
Our lives..

For the peace of the soul, you have attached yourselves to Islam. There are crores of Poor Islamists who are living an unsecured life. What you say?
Its not only Islam which tells about that. There are a lot of Nishneeni Sweeha which is present here. For some important Nishneeni, there are a lot of Minibeekshigal, which are needed. If there are specific leaders in each field, those Nishneei Sweeh will succeed. Instead of that, if we differentiate this as bad, and that as good, then the entire Nishneei Sweeh become bad.. If we do good, its not only for the community, and its for the entire mankind. This sort of intention must come for everyone. Be it be, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, it should be for the betterment of human beings, and for the welfare of the nation. Every Veda has a good message. If we study and learn it, it becomes proud. we tell, “Assalamu Alaikkum” which means, let there be peace for everyone. This has been told as common for all languages. In the same way, in Christianity, they say, “Let there be peace here”, and in Hinduism, they say, “Om Shanthi Om”. Likewise, all religions desire peace

Hello Sir, Is the wife after the mother,,,, Is this true and right ?
Absolutely true. At the same time, the wife is also a mother.

Ilayaraja, who has achieved the pinnacle of success, has never forgotten his mother land or his native place. and he wont forget in the future too. But, you haven’t spoken anything about your native place . Why is it so ?
I have sung a song, “Thai Manne Vanakkam”. What more can be said ..

Which is the best melody song of your composition that you like ?. Amongst Illayaraja ’s melody songs, which is the one which you keep humming. Please answer
Amongst my music, its going to be , “New York Nagaram” from Jillenu oru Kadhal. Amongst Illayaraja ’s composition it would be “Kaatril varum Geetham” from Jaani

The notable famous Play back singer T.M. Sounder Rajan hasn’t featured in your music till now. Why ?
He is going to sing soon,. No particular reason behind it

For a good cinema, songs are a hindrance as said by Actor Kamalhassan. I also accept it . What about you ?
Oh is it so. Kamal Hassan’s for his next film, “Marmayogi” has been asking me for a lot of songs…

No comments: